In this lecture, we discuss the ethics involved in conducting power and sample size analysis. We will talk about basic ethical concepts that underlie our study designs, the three key concepts when considering sample size, understanding the dangers regarding ethics when studies have too much or too little power, and why it is important to plan for sample size and power analysis early. Some questions to consider while completing this lesson include:
- What are the ethical considerations related to sample sizes that are too small?
- What are the ethical considerations related to sample sizes that are too large?
- Describe basic ethical concepts underlying trial design.
- Define 3 key concepts important for ethical sample size determinations.
- Understand ethical concerns in overpowered studies.
- Understand ethical concerns in underpowered studies.
- Understand the importance of early sample size and power planning.
Lecture Notes: 5.0 Ethics of Power and Sample Size